
I'm not very fond of turkey, but I am quite fond of the day off. In fact, in the world I plan to take over (either quietly or hostile, I've not decided yet) I would declare every Monday a Thanksgiving so we can all sit at home, relax, and give thanks to various thing we may not all agree on. Of one thing I am thankful of: I'm not a Leafs fan. The other thing I'm thankful of: I'm not a Canucks fan.
And here I thought Canadiens fans were awful...
So while we may not have won the game in Vancouver, we apparently left our mark by smacking one of the creepy twins (Daniel) with a puck on the foot and he's now out 4 to 6 weeks. Apparently news of this was greeted with...cheers? Aren't these guys like the Kostitsyns, in that they're joined at the hip, so when one goes down the other gets useless? Were these not the guys who took advantage of my tired and weakened team and pulled out a gazillion points on them for the first win of their season? Not that I care, but wow... When I heard the story of "panic" at the beginning of the season when the Curse of the Contract Extension went out in full force, I'm starting to believe their ranking of 5th most worst fans in the NHL... And sorry, you can't trade Luongo. You have him for life now.
Another thing I'm thankful for: I'm not a Nordiques fan. Forever dreaming the impossible dream...
Really? Can Quebec City actually support an NHL team again? I would love it. Red Bull seems to sponsor plenty up there. For one, it would take the heat of my Habs. But first that damn arena needs to be rebuilt (or a new one alltogether as it would be impossible to share with the Remparts). And second, which sorry team gets to move up there? Islanders? Thrashers? Panthers? I was hoping Tampa Bay as that would kill two birds with one stone (NHL team, the trio of Francophone Saviours). Third, who gets bumped out of the division? Bet ya Boston goes Atlantic. Which would probably make Boston happy, actually. But here's something that bothered me recently while the Habs were going through their ownership changes... Why didn't Pelladeau just buy the damn team back then to keep it there? Why the sudden interest now?
So what am I thankful for on the Habs front?
Well I'm thankful for Carey Price, having stolen us 4 points to the best of his abilities. And when the team will play better, so will he. I'm thankful for Brian Gionta. I've mentioned before how I've always been a fan of the guy, and his timely goals always give the team a chance at a victory. I'm thankful for Andrei Markov. Without the General, it will be harder to get a victory, but imagine how it must be for him right now? Sitting at home, trying to heal as fast as possible, watching his team struggle to get any wins without him... It must be hell. I'm thankful for Mike Cammalleri. He's just itching to score, and I'm sure he will, but he's got this opportunistic value that was rare on this team last year. I'm even thankful for Gomez, who may float around like Kovy, but is it not cool when he zooms down the ice with the puck like a Harlem Globetrotters? Also you can't knock his pride. There's word a dumbass tossed a Habs jersey onto the ice after the Calgary game, and he came back out to pick it up. I think he was also the Rangers player I saw who picked up one of the "Go Habs Go" banners in the 0-5 comeback game... I'm thankful for Josh Gorges, who's grown nicely since coming here. And while he's not Markov, he's busting his arse nightly to make up for that huge hole.
No one ever said this game was easy, and the Habs never get anything easy... So we can only be thankful we have a team to cheer for, through the good and the bad, and right now they could use our support as they do what they can to play through these problems. And while it may look like we're in the running for the Taylor Hall sweepstakes or whatever it is this year, when the bodies return, we can watch them get right back on track.
2 comments:
I'm thankful for the 2007/8 version of the Habs. At least I'll always have my memories.
I'm thankful the Leafs still suck so I can have my default "but the Leafs suck more" line when someone disses my team...
Post a Comment