Saturday, October 31, 2009

Habs 5, Leafs 4 (SO): What the fuck are you doing?!

See? There are enough crappy teams to chew on to stay at .500 for the year. But a combination of shitty defense and Jaro's small twitchy legs/crappy laterals, and this went to the most lumpsided shootout ever (in our favor, thankfully) when it should have been 4-2 in regulation.

I was supposed to be having dinner and a movie with the family tonight, but that failed. Instead we went to Cheaters to eat, and by the time we were done, we were found stuck in the deadzone of movie land. That, and none of us were really in the mood to go wait around and see a 9:45 movie. Cheaters had the game on though, with sound. Seriously guys? Did you play like crap yesterday because you were saving yourselves for tonight? Not that it was any better tonight...

It's a win, but I say MEH!
- I thought they buried Toskala under the Ricoh Center...
- Metro had the best goal of the year: Off Toskala's head.
- Jaro is made of rubber.
- If you win a faceoff, get the puck!
- Where the fuck is our powerplay? That 5-on-3 of failure on the worst PK in the League was a travesty.
- And the two powerlay goals last night were enough to make us worry. Tonight was just as worrisome...
- A stat you do not want to know: Ponikarovsky has more career points (25) against the Habs than any other team.
- Jaro! Squeeze in your fucking arms!
- Hammer's goal was hilarious: Gomez saw him standing by the net and just banked it off him. He didn't even know he scored. For once, being a pylon in the RIGHT end of the rink works!
- Ron Wilson's face goes from normal, to pink, to red as the game wears on.
- Yea, shootout. Toskala sucks, and Stempniak/Kaberle have no idea what they're doing out there. Thank goodness.
- Gomez and Cammy used the exact same move.
- My brother: We can score when no one is in our way.
- Next up is the Thrashers, again. Best start shooting, 'cause if it's Pavelec again...well, let's just say he made over 50 saves this afternoon against the Sens (who were also shooting like they had a disease) and he nearly shut them out...

And it starts again. Seriously guys? Habs fans are using this "win" to diss Price, who played lights out last night against an actual bonafied contender team. So far, Jaro proved he's an adequate goalie to take some games in, but when he's actually busy his problems are glaring (laterals suck, puck handling, rebounds and problems at stopping play because of his rebounds). Don't get me started on the flags that are raised when he's playing against a contender team...

Also would it really kill you to play the kid at home against the "crappy" teams for once instead of on the road, where he's practically the only one playing? I'm starting to wonder what the hell Martin is thinking. I mean, he plays Bergeron on the PK and OT and Guimauve in the final minutes... He's off his fucking rocker.

5 comments:

Kibbles said...

I counted 5 'fuck's, including the picture. Impressive.

Martin's goaltending decisions seem to have as much to do with superstitions and hunches as they do rationalization. To be fair though, maybe Price isn't practicing hard enough and he did play last night.

Number31 said...

Only 5? Hmm... I could do better!

The report on practice is he's working very hard, even coming in early and going out on his own later to practice shooting. I'm sure he wasn't scheduled to play tonight because of the back-to-back, but the internet comments CBC decides to read on-air are pure ignorance. Never mind the texts CJAD gets during games (like during that weak Islanders game, one "fan" wrote in about Jaro being the guy and Price being a step away from Hamilton...). But the win streak myth wasn't because of goaltending and well, Martin's playing with fire frankly.

Eternal Pessimist said...

Martin better do something because if gets fired and they end up hiring Boucher, I'll be upset. I like Boucher as the Hammies coach..... =/

Grrrreg said...

I also said that on EP's blog, but Martin is worrying me a little. Not as a coach (although the line juggling is a little weird at times), but because of the way he handles the goalies situation. He's really not helping Price, and he's fueling the 'controversy'. This must be a tough situation for Price, who can't really be blamed for his play this season.

Number31 said...

The hot hand thing is so lame, especially considering who was the opposition, but I'm talking mail that gets published in papers from "fans" and the local press who seem hell bent on running Price out of town for some reason. Mark my words, if he goes Phil Kessel on us this summer, he will haunt us and these same fans will come back screaming why in God's green earth did we let him go~? (Though he's a very loyal-to-the-team type guy, so I'd be surprised if that would ever happen...after all this is the guy who refused to be traded for an easy ride to a Memorial Cup because he wanted to stay with his team).

I'm kind of surprised in Martin too... He was a goalie, he should know first hand what it's like. Though I'm a bit more concerned with how he's handling Andrei, honestly...