Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Habs 4, Whalercanes 0: The kids are alright


That's right, JMart. CREDIT your kids on D tonight because they were fantastic. (Of course he danced around the issue. Dude's a waffle). But man Carolina is terrible. How the hell did this team beat the Penguins?

Of course historically we all know that whatever ails the Whalercanes, they usually cure themselves on the Habs. But the Habs were just so damn solid tonight that there was no way this was happening. They got the right game plan, they went for the kill, they kept the Canes to like 5 shots for most of the game and kept pressing for more.

Hey, Canes even had a 4-on-3 turned 5-on-3 to play with, so it's not like they didn't have opportunities.

We got a Gremelin!
- Yup. Emelin's best game since coming over. You could see it building. The more he plays the more awesome he gets. He threw 7 hard hits, blocked 7 shots, a little over 18 minutes of ice time with about 2 and half on the penalty kill. I just love his game. Introduced Tlusty to the new Bell Centre glass early.
- PK Subban scored a goal and jumped into the glass. It's a good day when PK Subban scores a goal and jumps into the glass.
- Young defence? No problem. With Price moving the puck it was a lot easier for the kids to play. Picked up an assist for his effort on the opening goal. Was busiest in the 3rd and a key to shutting down the Canes' powerplay.
- Cam Ward needs help. His team ain't giving it.
- I mean for all of Staal's troubles, he wasn't invisible. Most of the time.
- As much trouble the Whalercanes have been to the Habs, I still kind of really like Tuomo Ruutu. (The only good Ruutu in my books).
- And Ruutu was mercilessly trolled by Erik Cole as he sat in the penalty box.


Cole Troll


- I know everyone shits on Gomez. Even the TSN Panel had a "what to do with Scott Gomez" question. (And no, buying him out is NOT the option). Sure he sucked at faceoffs, and had one crap shift, but I honestly think he played real well tonight. And was there to give some support to Eller, who's designated linemate is now on the IR. Regardless of what the fans say, the young guys really look up to him.
- None can stop the Saskatcheplow!
- Weber actually wiffed on his powerplay goal but hey with the goals Ward was giving up I half expected the Canes to score on their own net all night.
- Also I think RDS is the only channel that pronounces Weber's name properly...
- SteadFreddy's NHL debut! Took two penalties, but the rest of his game was simple and fairly solid for a nervous first game on home ice. He also blocked a shot in the final moments of the game to help preserve Price's shutout. That's why we love him so.

Habs were in 8th spot for a few seconds (then the Devils beat the Sabres). They've been pressing hard this month and deserve everything for working so hard. And the best way to bounce back from the heartbreak and anger yesterday is to not allow another team that's in tough to have their way with you on your home ice. Especially when that team usually breaks out on your home ice.

Now it's time to continue and do the same to the Islanders. I think if they play like this, they'll do just fine.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Great Summary 31
I love how price has added shooting the puck like a D to his repitore.

Chester said...

Loved the Gremlin last nite.
I thought he played an awesome game. Thumping and passing and playing D. When all those other guys come back we are going to have a logjam on the blue line ... praise Allah.

Number31 said...

Dunno about a logjam. I'm thinking Diaz will go to Hamilton to continue his learning process since he's the only one who really has that option.