Sunday, November 29, 2009

The 13th man

Pleky takes in the Grey Cup!

Last year, the 13th man was a horrible horrible monster towards the Canadiens in a time they needed them the most. The 13th man booed and ridiculed a team limping into the Playoffs on one leg, and were an overall despicable monster concerning half the players were in their final years in the CH. I was hurt to the point of nearly killing someone at the Bell Center during that 3rd game at what I witnessed. And when Price did his Patrick Roy imitation I was in tears at how horrible the 13th man continued their mean streak during the game, after the game, and the days after.

All week long I kept hearing how the 13th man will be the key to winning this game against the Beast of the East with the green invasion of Calgary. For a while it looked like the same old Als when it comes to the game that matters: chokers. And then Number 13 himself, Anthony Calvillo drives the Als back into the game. Finally, the 13th man dealt a devastating blow to the Saskatchewan Roughriders but it wasn't the same 13th man I was hearing about all week... Like the Bruins in 1979, it was a player causing a Too Many Men penalty in the most crucial hairline moment of the game. Because of that 13th man, Damon Duval gets to redo his field goal kick with the Als trailing 25-27. Only this time he succeeds and the Als grab the 2009 Grey Cup right from the Riders fingertips 28-27.

The cigars are out. The champagne is sprayed. Avon Cobourne gets the MVP, Ben Cahooooooooooon gets Most Outstanding Canadian (I love the little guy but mostly I just love yelling his name) and I get to see the giant Bryan Chiu hug his adorable and tiny little boy on tv (so cute!). Congratulations Alouettes! Grey Cup Champions 2009!

The Impacts are USL 2009 Champions. The Alouettes are 2009 Grey Cup Champions. Habs? There's still hope for you yet! Adopt the Als slogan and "Win the Day". If not, at least try! There's always a chance. Go Habs Go!

4 comments:

Eternal Pessimist said...

Pleky is ADORABLE! :D

I pretty much missed the entire game but I did sort of catch the end via my family yelling so.. Yeah... Yay Als even though I hate your sport. You win! Whooo!

Some of this winning atmosphere has to transfer to the Habs, right? It has to. C'mooon Habs!

Chester said...

We lost the game as well as the day. But ... Sometimes it's just your destiny. Like when The National Embarassment got The Penalty for the Beaners and Laflower scores. Yesterday was just our destiny. All Al's fans knew we were going to win, we just had to wait for them to fuck up. Funny they can't count to twelve in Saskatchewan.

Unknown said...

It's funny being a habs fan and yet hating the Als. A hollow victory people. And someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe your outstanding Canadian is really American. I wish they would change that stupid rule.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. And yes, there's always a chance.