Sunday, January 25, 2009

"I'll go second" - Habs hero saves the East

A profile like no other.

If this will be Alex Kovalev's final season with the Tricolore--and I shudder to think of that possibility--then what a beautiful season AK27 has received by us fans. Diligent and unwaivering in our voting for him to be sent to the All-Star Game through much hoopla of auto-scripts, text messages, and the never-ending debate of whether or not he deserved to be there, here he is: named the Captain of the East and the game MVP with two goals, an assist, two posts, seven shots, a few jokes with Malkin while on the bench, a mini-check, some defensive play, on fire in overtime and out there for half of the time, a smile, a twinkle in his eye, and the game winning shootout goal of a rocket on a blinking Roberto Luongo that left Mr. Gillette stuned and awestruck. And in the usual Habs Backup Captain Kovalev fashion, the MVP truck will be sold and the money sent to his charity. (Though I think it'll be cool if he customizes it a bit before selling it with, say, an AK27 decal or something). I salut you Alex Kovalev. May you be signed here until you believe you can play no more.

And the rest of our brothers in the Bleu Blanc Rouge did not look out of place tonight either. Markov was the best defenseman out there, providing a goal and some excellent display of why he's so important to our team. A 4-on-1? No problem. And even showing his funny side when Serge Savard was welcomed to the lower bowl, Markov did the spin-o-rama right after for his own personal salut at the legendary defenseman. Komisarek got the first All-Star Game penalty in like 10 years and then tried to redeem himself with a few attempts. Had a very good opportunity that Luongo didn't think he would have shot. Price only allowed 2 goals on 11 shots at a time in the game when everyone was awkwardly skating around, wondering if they're supposed to blow up the score sheet or be kind and courteous. Almost had an assist with a beautiful outlet pass, schooling the other goalies on how to play the puck. Say what you will of Tim Thomas, but his method of flop-n-hope is not effective if players were smart enough to just aim high on him. Price has the most efficient style. Notice, Luongo is the same: also efficient. I'd rather have those two head for the Olympics even though I don't like seeing NHL players in Olympic games but that's another story.

And so the All-Star weekend comes to a close. The fun has been had, the people left happy, and the kids charities will benefit greatly. And once more, thank you Kovy. He was born to play in these games.

4 comments:

admin said...

Oh that profile, how I love it so!!!

A Concerned Citizen said...

Long Live Kovy. I'm wearing my Kovalev team Russia jersey today in his honor.

Anonymous said...

I sincerely hope this was a preview of what's to come from Kovy, for the rest of this season.
I would certainly hate to look back on this year (as maybe his last with us) and have to say the All-Star Game was his best moment... because so far it is.

Number31 said...

Well who knows, James... When Kovy is on the ice in a regular game, he rarely gets that much space. He's usually boxed in by 4 guys, or hooked, or tripped, right when he's given a glorious scoring opportunity. Now I fear the target on his back has only grown bigger :/