Thursday, January 8, 2009

Get your misconducts on the cheap! Habs 6, Leafs 2

This is Patches' number now!

I don't think I've seen a penalty list this long since Habs games of the mid-80s. Well, what better way to salut the Original Six "rivalry" between the two clubs? Or maybe it's just Burke leaving his stamp. Brad "elbows" May? He's like an old-man Chris Neil. Team toughness? I guess a pileup on every guy who happens to bump someone. By the end of the first, I think the guys just went to the room with a WTF laugh. But the Habs responded. They continued with their hits. They did their fighting. I know Kostopoulos can't fight but he managed to make Carbo laugh. And then there's the petulant child Grabovski, still looking to be punched by Sergei (thwarted again by the refs). Even Bouillon wants to see them throw down.

That second period was about 60 minutes long.

But in the end, disregarding the fact the Canadiens played little under 24 hours ago in a New York potato field and had no morning practice and whatnot, it was absolute ownage.

My brother: Why do the Leafs have the Habs locked into their zone yet seem incapable of scoring?

My reply: Defense works.

Breezer had 3 assists in the first period. Sergei opened the scoring. Toskala went for a walk after Kostopoulos to allow Gui! to score. Lapierre scored. Kovalev on a delayed penalty ninja scored. AK46 scored by actually deflecting a puck. And Pacioretty scored on Cujo.

But probably the biggest shock was 2 more powerplay goals.

And Weber didn't look out of place as a forward. Some poor Leaf actually blocked one of his bullets. Brave man...

I guess the only problem now will be when Koivu returns. Where do we put him? That Patches-Pleky-Kovy line is great. The Lang-Kostitsyns line is great. The Lapierre line is untouchable. I'm guessing the Bulldogs line? Dagger-Koivu-Chipper and put Weber on D?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grabovski got a 3 game suspension for shoving the linesman... serves him right.
Next I can't wait for Sergei to make him drink teeth soup.

Number31 said...

I've seen Sergei fight a few. He's no Laraque but he can take care of himself. Though I prefer his mean hip checks. Those are classic, and clean to boot!