Saturday, March 28, 2009

Disappointment thy name is shootout - Habs 3 Sabres 4 (SO)

It's a bum way to end a good game but yet again the Habs turn complacent and passive in the 3rd period and it bites them in the arse. Still Carey Price guaranteed them a point in games they deserved and in games they didn't before his first injury, and since that 2-0 loss in Atlanta (where he only allowed 1) they haven't lost in regulation with him in nets.

Lady luck stayed home?
- First period, Habs were everywhere. They hit anything that moved and shot the puck with fire. And Miller couldn't handle many of the weird bounces, but luck left it's clover at the door and nothing bounced in. Of course, a sneaky tip-in on the end of a lame penalty powerplay gave the Sabres a 1-0 lead...
- As with most goals against for Price, if they're not absolute flukes, it's him staring at 4 red sweaters blocking his view, like the second one after a fanned clear attempt right in the slot. C'mon guys, get to it!
- With his lunchpail and hard hat, Master Higgins wakes them up with an awesome goal. I love the Ninja Line.
- Revenge thy name is Koivu-Kovalev-Tanguay. Capitalizing on the powerplay and the puck bounced off Kovy each time. A sneaky tip-in of his own was just gravy.
- Sergei did some lovely plays tonight, covering for defensive errors, missed a check but managed to get just a piece of the guy to create a turnover, some great aggressive forechecking especially in the 3rd, and came flying in on the left-wing but again no one was following. Poor guy. Hopefully once his brother is healthy, they can have some finish on that line. Still, I love his intensity and really missed it when he was away in Hamilton.
- I love the way Kovy skates like a shark out hunting when he's forechecking. Though I think he could have neutralized that player who passed the puck which lead to the 3rd Sabres sneaky tip in goal after the team couldn't exit the zone again.
- Huuuuuuuge stops by Price, including the Save of the Game with a Sabres player sitting on him.
- I guess the adrenaline got to Fruit Punch's brain because he usually doesn't hit people like that boarding penalty. Though, it's Kaleta so I don't know if you can maybe call it justice? I've seen players get suspended for less, I've seen players not get suspended for worse. But Kaleta didn't get injured either, so...
- Markov is the team MVP.
- Hammer was absolutely out of it tonight.
- Breezer goes back in the trunk...and the car goes off somewhere, I don't care where...
- Dagger didn't have a good game tonight, but gotta give Bob credit. He gave him his chances.
- I order you all to work on faceoffs.
- That said, the refs were being morons on the faceoffs. Drop the fucking puck and shut up please? What the hell were they doing?
- Benoit Brunet: stfu.
- Dandy is totally justifying his contract and totally showing why he's a good asset. Also shows why he's a better forward than defenseman, though I'd rather have him on D than Breezer. If Bob does that, he could always shove Stewie on the Ninja Line.
- Overtime was yakety-sax hockey.
- The shootout was rather lame on the part of the Habs shooters. And with Price being outstanding and Miller being lucky and wonky, they just couldn't get the puck off the ice. The sweet spot on Miller in a shootout is usually over the right shoulder. Pleky got it, but hit the post. Story of our lives eh? But with March being playoff hockey time, maybe the league should just ban shootouts in the final stretch...
- The whole team waited for Price to come to the bench when the shootout was over. Kovy gave him a big pat on the head.
- One thing I also noticed was Bob waits for his team to go first before leaving the rink. Even after those losses.
- Bob knows about the importance of playing a complete 20 minutes in the third. He's addressed this in his Press Conference. Once the Bob addresses something it gets fixed, that's for sure.

Conclusion: perhaps the 1 point gained tonight will serve as a reminder for how terribly important it is to play a solid 3rd period. Lead protection is the key to a playoff series, and any passive complacency leads to the death of a season. Still, I'm confident the guys can make it. This game was intense, the refs were morons, and it was probably the best Saturday night game the guy's have had since the beginning of the season.

Bulldogs and others to report!
- Despite a 2-1 OT loss to the top Manitoba Moose, the Dogs have clinched a playoff spot. They play the Moose again today.
- The Montreal Juniors (STUPID NAME) completely owned the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies 7-0 in a pivotal game 5 for their first playoff series. (And this is all without Angelo Esposito who injured his knee and was done for the season). The Juniors have a chance to put it all away at 4pm today. Oh...and I like that Jeremy Gouchie kid.

Eastern clusterfuck:
- Marty, Marty, Marty! You failed me! Panthers put the smack down on the Stars 6-3. I is so very sad...
- Tough night for goalies named "Marty" as Carolina toys with the Devils 2-1. Been a while since Brodeur faced 48 shots eh?
- Pens takes the Rags 4-3 after trading goals all night. Stundqvist.
- Boston had an easy night with the Leafs despite Manny Fernandez being crap. Though you can say Pogge was crappier. And this was the guy who once upon a time was AHEAD of Price, folks. A 7-5 score though, I know Boston was looking for their swagger back but those goals against should bother them.
- Islanders were having a 2-0 deja vu but then lost to Philly in a shootout. Semi-tough night for that Marty. I gotta ask though, why did the Islanders send out Streit as the 3rd shooter...?
- The Sens really feeling that no-playoffs blues now that Atlanta drop kicked them 6-3. Hedberg is in nets again so I guess Lehtonen did get injured (again) in New York. Goalie made of string and glass...
- I'm currently trapped in bed with a migraine. I hate my life and my brain.

No comments: