Sunday, February 1, 2009

Royal Flush: Habs 4, Kings 3


An ugly battle of the win is exactly what the Habs needed this afternoon. And while I had to catch the game on Express because I HATE 2PM GAMES, it's all good. A four game losing streak is not so bad, considering the Red Wings are now on 5 and I just watched the Canucks lose their 8th despite playing an OK game (just their penalty kill was absolutely abysmal). And while it's up in the air on whether or not the boys can win again tomorrow against Boston in yet another FUCKING 2PM GAME, at least they'll be wearing the barber poles!

Elbows of the game misconduct type:
- Gauthier's flying elbow that knocked Gorges silly was disgusting. If he had checked him regularily, we wouldn't even mention it. He had the opportunity to do so as well. Instead opted to charge at him, launching full speed ahead, elbows first. Of course, in typical Gorges fashion, he got up albeit rather tipsy and surrounded by his concerned teammates. He even returned to play, but obviously shouldn't have as he turned the puck over badly that lead to a Kings goal. We're all hoping he won't be out for long...and Gauthier better get a big fat suspension. At least he got a penalty and tossed.
- And to all you fans whining that no one came in to fight for Gorges...think about it. Considering no one saw the hit anyway until Gorges got up in a daze, would you rather someone get an extra two like Shawn Belle did in this evening's Bulldogs game for standing up for his teammates which allowed the Monsters to score their go-ahead goal? (The Monsters then won that game 3-1 by the way). Instead the Habs responded with a big fat goal, barely a second in the powerplay. Roofdaddy by Andrei "I got my head slapped silly earlier" Kostitsyn himself. And later the Habs crowded and pushed about the snappy Kings for crowding Price and crosschecking Bouillon. Seemed like after every whistle there were crowds and shouting. Even from...Lang? I saw Pleky pull a guy away too.
- Price is getting his feet back. He'll be back in game shape by the end of this week, that's for sure. Though even in the win, he looked a bit pissed. Wouldn't blame him after seeing his best buddy knocked out like that.
- Terry Murray is an idiot. Must run in the family.
- Pleky's super goal was absofuckinglutely wunderbar. Especially considering there should have been a penalty for tripping Koivu, but there wasn't. Pleky didn't give up.
- First "fight" for Patches. Looked more like Simmonds was slapping him on the back though. Not much of a fight, more of a tangle. Though gotta say, the kids looks good with that new haircut of his.
- He was robbed a lovely scoring chance by Quick's glove. At least we can see he's able to play with anyone on any line.
- Dagger had a glorious flying opportunity but he was the only one that ended up in the net. Nice of the goalie to check if he was ok after whacking the crossbar with his head.
- Drew Doughty wooooo~!
- Calder likes crosschecking eh?
- Goal of the year: Higgins. Wow. That was total Rick Nash, woah. Of course Murray cried later that an actual hockey play should have been a penalty. Then again he didn't think Gauthier's hit was dirty. Joke.
- Quick gave us the win by knocking the puck in his own net like MAF did in the Cup finals. Thank you, ghosts! (Koivu knocked it behind him).
- I saw part of this game while looking at sofas at Leon's on like 5 lovely plasma TVs that were up on display.
- Carbo's look at the end was an "eh, I'll take it" smile/shrug.

Conclusion: These 2pm games are shitty and it's Superbowl Weekend to boot. Not that I care about football. I'm happy for the win though. Baby steps. Especially happy that they did not give the Kings an OT point and had Murray leave whining.

And while I'm slowly putting all my stuff in boxes...
- Leafs beat the Pens on Killer's night 5-4. And with this I facepalm at Therrien's decision to use Staal's line instead of, you know, Crosby/Malking at a key moment in the game near the end... Oh and Gilmour was better in the Tricolore!
- Four shutouts today. Boston 1-0 over the Rags, which was odd considering a few things not just Tuukka Rask or Henrik Lundqvist. The Blues 4-0 over the Flyers. Both Rags and Flyers flunking helped the Habs leapfrog back up to 4th in the East. Carolina 2-0 over Atlanta, bringing more truth that the Habs were definitely just slumped and the Thrashers played over their heads that one night. Buffalo 2-0 over the Yotes doesn't really say anything to me though.
- Islanders beat Florida 3-1. Good for Danis, slowly stealing DP's job which is probably good for them considering he's done for the season anyway.
- Good to see Dallas looking a bit more like the Dallas I was hoping they'd be. Spanked Columbus 7-3, and chased Mason out of the net in the first 10 minutes.
- After watching the Canucks game, I've decided if I ever make a band I'd call it "Big Fat Rebound". Just thought I'd let you know.

No comments: