We were on our way to absolute boredom with this. Which is hilarious considering the Bruins nightly quota is like 5 goals per game.
Fucking broken stupid Boston rink causes the puck to bounce out weird and no one else is paying attention at the little hockey player in front of an empty net. For a long while, looked like it was all the Bruins needed tonight. Habs had really nothing going for them. Well, the usual suspects were working: Eller's line, and as the night went on DD's line picked it up (I giggle every time DD takes on Chara, and he took him down with a shot to the gut to boot). After pissing off most of his fanbase, and probably most of his teammates, while back-peddling today on his comments yesterday, we were all paying close attention to Cammalleri just to see if he would indeed put his money where his mouth is. Two gifted rebounds found their way in front of him with wide open nets and he ignored both of them. Sigh.
As the game went on I gave up, and traded him for Bobby Ryan. Apparently someone else was thinking similar... (No, not Bobby Ryan).
Cammy disappeared from the bench in the third. Thought maybe Hal Gill gave him a concussion with an "errant" water bottle. But with Cammy gone, and PK being a pest, Habs kind of crept back in ever...so...slightly. They looked like they had more jump than the previous two periods. It turned sour when Gorges accidentally tipped a shot that was going wide in behind Price. He knew it, Price didn't look too happy. And with PK drawing the ire of the Bruins, took two out with him to the penalty box. Who else? Yannick Weber said he thought he was better than some of the guys that were playing and yes, people got annoyed with that comment. In reality, English is not his first language, and I think he meant he believes he could bring more than what he saw from the rafters. I mean, I was watching Chris Campoli and thinking the same thing. How is Campoli a better option than Weber?! At least if Weber turns over the puck you can just chalk it up to a young guy still learning his options. (Noticed Eller and Diaz are getting better at decisions in their own end, even though they still make errors. You live and die with your youth to make them better in the future). And besides, it's the Bruins. I swear Weber has scored 90% of his goals against the Bruins. And all of them are probably on Tim Thomas.
They had another real good chance shorthanded near the end of the game. A few more cases of holding onto the puck too long. PK came out of nowhere and launched it on net, surprising everyone and forcing a save. Bruins got nothing on their powerplays.
Odd that it's the healthy scratched kid who puts his money where his mouth is.
MEANWHILE...
Cammalleri was actually pulled from the game and sent back to the hotel. Not like he was contributing to the game in any way, shape or form. If you didn't watch the game just look at his stat sheet. It was the only one that was blank right across the board. Not even a single turnover.
Probably should have just scratched him altogether.
Frankly I don't care if a guy was pulled mid-game for a trade. I've heard about this type of thing before. But because it's the HABS oh god forbid they work like the rest of the league! I mean, hey, who doesn't mind sending high-priced NHLers to the Minors all because you made a shitty contract or forcing a guy to go work in Europe because you screwed up. That's real class right there eh?
I wanted him to do like Weber: Work. Put the puck in the net. Show us you care for real and not say that you do. Actions speak louder than words, sometimes. Instead we got more floating.
Cammy was traded back to Calgary along with Ramo and a 5th, for Rene Bourque, Patrick Holland (Tri-City), and a 2nd round pick. ALSO: shed a shitload of salary. I have no idea how Calgary will stuff this all under the cap but that's their problem. And I think Jay Feaster is an idiot, but that's just me (hello Lightning). Also note: Cammy had limited no trade clause where he could veto about 7 teams, so when a GM perks up and says "I didn't know he was on the block, I would have traded for him!" I'll say that maybe that GM's team is on his no-go list. We pretty much all knew he wanted his old haunts first, and the rule is trade out of conference first if you can.
If you think they should have waited for the deadline, think again. The great Brian Burke is PRAISED for his school of thought with regards to trading long before the deadline. If it's the Habs, they get bashed. We're told on both sides the deal was being worked out for months now. Bourque's suspensions keep getting in the way (he'll be back Sunday). They're about the same age, but Bourque makes half what Cammy makes, and currently has more goals on a team just as shitty. I don't care about his playoff performance: you have to get there first. (And about that playoff performance, Cammy's sucked before coming here, too).
End of the day, Habs get young (prospect), cheaper, bigger, and get a coveted 2nd round pick.
When the Habs hosted the Flames at their first home game this season, Bourque tweeted "Can't wait for the game tonight at the Bell Center. Love playing in MTL." He scored 2 goals with the same amount of ice time Cammy was bitching about in a 4-1 win for the Flames. And I know how Bourque plays... which sometimes isn't much different from Benoit Pouliot. But let's face it, both guys needed out. Cammy's heart disappeared as well.
Oh and Troy Brouwer says hi.
Quotes on the trade:
"Interesting optics for CGY. They didn't think Cam was worth resigning at
6 mil after getting 39, but now he is worth 6 mil on pace for 18." (Brian Wilde, CTV.)
"I wasn't concerned with what was going on with Michael at that time. I was too busy trying to stop the puck." (Carey Price after the game)
"On s'en sacre." (Mathieu Darche)
(EDIT) For your information:
And this is why the timing of the trade happened. I do believe a few freaking out "reporters" and snarky bloggers out there owe the Habs a little apology...
4 comments:
Its not a total stinker, just like the Halak trade, but in both cases a better GM would have showcased and shopped him. I say Cole is next to go.
Pulling him before the 3rd was to prevent any risk of injury. I say we keep Cole.
Cole isn't going anywhere, Steve...
'reporters' never apologize.
Post a Comment