Thursday, December 2, 2010

Habs 5, Devils 1: Clash of the Giontas

OK it wasn't that epic a showdown, but we got pictures of BABY GIONTAS on our TV so we all instantly win.

This was how you were supposed to play the Oilers yesterday. Consequently those cocky little bastards beat the Leafs 5-0 so I'll Nelson laugh at that. But it was a good bounce back game, particularly to take advantage on the Devils who suck and don't have Brodeur playing. Oddly enough the Devils were on a 4-game winning streak at home and won their last few games in shootouts or shutouts so it was really up to the Habs to make a statement and crush them like the bottom-feeding team they are. Regardless of the score, it got to the point where the Habs weren't really trying to score but nearly did anyway. I swear Price took extra steps on his saves to keep himself awake.

My only problem for tonight's game other than falling asleep on Arnott's goal: PK was a healthy scratch. He manned up for what happened last night. He spoke like a veteran while Cammy pouted in the corner. He wasn't the only one at fault. Either way he better not sit for a long time. Picard can take his erratic play to the pressbox. And see what happens when Weber plays defense? He's actually effective! A shocker! I know! (Of course you could always give one of the old dudes a night off but LOL who am I kidding, this is Jacques Martin we're talking about).

Release the Kraken:
- It took 11 seconds for Gionta to score.
- And he hit the post right after that.
- Lars Eller made roadkill of the Moose.
- The only guys incapable of taking a pass from Price are Ye Olde Czech Defense pairings, the Wonder Twins of Hamr and Spacek. The rest? Well, when they skate, and he passes, there's an even flow of movement. Who knew moving your feet works?
- Rookie ref? How could you not see that was a goal by Pyatt.
- When Gomez scores on the powerplay for the 2nd time in 2 games can we stop with the call-ins asking to dump his ass in Hamilton?
- Of course missing that wide open net and his lone -1 kind of stands out.
- Also Weber is WAY better than Bergeron so stop wondering why the Habs don't want that liability on the roster.
- I noticed Cammy had an A on his sweater. Happy now? (Yes, I know Markov's A now floats around the group).
- Pouliot's 2 wrongs and 2 rights, but he scored a laser so he's only slightly pissing me off.
- And I swear I saw Lou Lamoriello heading for the light switch once it was 5-0 with still 10 minutes left in the 2nd.
- Honestly, with 2 minutes left NOW you send a 3-man forecheck on the Habs? A little late, no?
- And with 10 seconds left in a 5-1 game was a little futile as well.
- Brian and Stephen Gionta are the same height but Brian has the hands.
- No triple low-fives, no fun. Instead, Price gets Pleky's smelly gloves stuck in his mask.

Seriously, these are not the Devils you were looking for. Late in the second, Hamr and Eller took minor penalties at the same time putting the Devils on a full 2 minute 5-on-3. You got Kovalchuk out there. I think the Devils only got 2 shots on net and I don't think any where his... What few fans that team had in the stands that night booed them mercilessly and pretty much all left save for a few masochists.

No comments: