Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Round 1 Game 4: Live, it was entertaining...

...until the defensive pairing of Bergeron and Hamrlik destroyed it.

But we have the smartest coach in the NHL according to Boudreau. He may be smart, but he's apparently too blind to notice that whenever those two are out, the Caps lick their chops and go off on odd-man rushes. Maybe our coach is a sadist?

You notice it on TV, but live it's just crazy, when you're sitting right above the net looking down, our defensive zone is like a bunch of flowers in a swarm of bees. The Habs either just stand around dumbfounded or run around like chickens without their heads. The Caps make every bounce and deflect do something that it's a miracle our goalies can actually breathe... At least I didn't have to poke someone's eye out for booing inappropriately.

The Good
- Price played a hell of a game. We have a goalie who stickhandled around OVECHKIN. He's just so calming. Even tossed a dude out of his aura. Even had to do some goalie hurdles over a Caps player who went sprawling into his net. And none of those goals were weaksauce. Two unsportsmanlike penalties? Please. He clipped a guy while trying to come over the bench with a load of goalie equipment on and was basically just telling the guy "he was there so move it" and the first was shooting a puck away that just happened to go into a crowd of celebrating Caps. Get the sand out of your vagina, Capitals, the refs were RELUCTANT to call all the infractions you guys actually did but called the Habs twice for playing hockey and then made up whatever they felt like calling garbage. Next time, maybe Price will get his fighting major instead.
- SERGEI WAS AWESOME COACH I HOPE YOU WERE WATCHING! Oh right, YOU DIDN'T PUT HIM ON THE POWERPLAY but who am I to question you 'cause you're a genius.
- Dominic Moore reminded people why you shouldn't leave after the other team scores an empty netter.
- Metro looked better tonight. Was flying with Pyatt, Sergei, Cammy, whoever they randomly decided to stick with him.
- Rhino comes in, people get squashed. Imagine if you had done this earlier eh Coach Chocula?
- Pyatt is so staying on this team.
- Gio for CAPTAIN! NOW!
- Cammy scored for me.
- These playoff series make me want to buy a Hal Gill t-shirt. I think I'm in love.

The Bad
- Every D not named Gill, Gorges, Markov, or Rhino.
- Jaro Spacek was missed. A lot.
- Bergeron and Hamr. Those assists can go die in a fire.
- Unable to bring out the killer instinct to finish the game with a lead. Always they get lazy, overwhelmed, they forget to cover people, and end up looking absolutely stupid and it cost them the game.
- If it didn't work the first time, and didn't work the second time, and didn't work the third, fourth, fifth time, STOP SHOOTING AT VARLAMOV RIGHT IN THE GUT! YOU WON'T BE GETTING A REBOUND THERE! In fact, no goalie will give up a rebound or even a goal if you shoot it right at his stomach. Maybe use the fucking boards behind the net and have another guy on the opposite side ready to tuck it in?
- Even though our best players were scoring goals, they were also the first to be floating around.
- Pouliot has no business being on the powerplay.

The OMGWTFBBQ!?
- No seriously coach, ARE YOU FUCKING BLIND?! BERGERON AND HAMR DO NOT MAKE A DEFENSIVE PAIR. As my brother said: "I wish they would do to Hamr what they did to Laraque. YOU ARE USELESS!"
- Tim Peel is an insult to hockey.
- Couldn't win a faceoff to save our lives. Even when they won one, the ref would whistle it down and they'd have to try again. Even when they won one, the wingers were too slow getting to the puck so they ended up losing the puck right after.

The Extra
- My brother does a hilariously accurate immitation of Jaro Spacek.
- I'm proud of you, crowd. You were supportive, you were loud and proud. You didn't boo Price who did all he could to backstop this trainwreck and I didn't have to launch anyone to center ice. Though sucks to be you if you left after the first empty netter because I would have LAUGHED if by some miracle Gomez actually had the strength to tie it up. (Maybe should have put the Moore/Kostitsyn line out again eh coach? They were actually trying to win this thing).

The series is playing out like an 8th seed facing the first in the League. Even though the Habs are giving them a run for their money and making it interesting, the Caps are just way too skilled to be falling behind. Still if I'm the Caps I would be greatly concerned how Mike Green is being outplayed by a kid. Then again, they're probably all juiced up anyway. No way those guys get that big that fast, or don't fatigue over the course of a game, and I don't remember Carlson being that large in the WJC...

Either way, Habs are what they are. I'm looking at Buffalo, I'm looking at Vancouver, I'm looking at THE BLACKHAWKS, I'm looking at the Sharks, I'm looking at the Devils... THOSE guys should be upset with how their playoffs are going. And while I know Crosby can score at will, Fleury's been a fucking sieve lately. Maybe they want to borrow Price for their inevitable series with the Caps?

Game 4: When you need a goal, just call PK Subban
At least the Bulldogs managed to bounce back like the top team in their conference that they are. Though there were some doubts... Boucher nearly pulled Desjardins again, but having Mayer as your backup wouldn't have ended well. One thing you gotta love about the Bulldogs is there ability to tip pucks into the PROPER net (something I wish the Habs would do). Grant Stevenson did the work while other people, mostly Glumac, finished. Aaron Palushaj powered through to set up Trotter and Subban. But it took double overtime to finish the game at 5-4 with Subban ripping a shot over Cory Schneider's glove.

Bulldogs lead their series now 3-1

2 comments:

Dennis said...

Regardless of the loss, it must have been awesome. Did the crowd get much quieter after the shorthanded goal?

Number31 said...

No, they were pretty loud. Disappointed, but loud. They immediately tried to get the boys back into it with a GO HABS GO chant. Plus they also had the break to blow off some steam, but came right back to cheer. They especially appreciated the 5 toe saves Price did in the first minute of the 3rd.

I was really proud of the crowd. Everyone appeared to come to the rink with a positive attitude. They knew they were in over their heads just as well. I can't speak for the lower bowl though, who emptied out quicker than rats leaving a sinking ship. Wish I had their tickets...