Wednesday, July 8, 2009

To my brave little captain


I didn't want to write anything until I knew for sure where he was going. And while I'll be more serious here than I was with Kovy's farewell, I find I'm at a loss for words. How can one describe the departure of the only captain I can truly put a face to? Yes I was around through Carbo (and Chelibot), Muller, Keane, Turgeon, Damphousse, hell I was around when Gainey was captain. And while each man were definitely something special, I think Saku Koivu was a little more.

Nothing but class and a huge part of our city. While fans rant and rave, he dutifully held his head high and expressed his appreciation for all he accomplished in our city, with our team, and how it shaped him into the very man, husband, and father that he is. I wish to return this in true Koivu form and thank the little big man from the bottom of my heart and I wish him nothing but good health and success as he tears the NHL a new one with his best friend Selanne over in Anaheim. I thank him for bringing us our first PET scanner. I thank him for all the wonderful work he has done with the children. I thank him for putting me on the edge of my seat every game and for making me jump in the air when he potted the winner in many an overtime or shootout. I thank him for the courage and inspiration he has shown, and for calming a rampaging Sergei Kostitsyn after witnessing his brother being brained onto the glass with no consequence on the player at fault. And after finally obtaining Kovy and Tanguay on his wings and finally playing on a proper line, I thank him for giving us that glimmer of hope after a season that was only half-fun to watch. It's too bad the line wasn't allowed to be together any longer than it was, what with the injuries and all. But as he moves on to greater pastures, and looks back on all the records he crushed and chased, as a fan and admirer of the great little captain I can say this: A great man and a great player passed here.

You will be missed, Saku Koivu. Long may you run.

2 comments:

Eternal Pessimist said...

I'm getting emotional with all these farewells....

Good luck in Anaheim, Koivu!

Yves said...

Very well said.

It really is both the end of an era in Montreal, and new beginnings.