Thursday, May 14, 2009

Adventures in Montreal: My First Home


If you've been wondering why I've been rather quiet here (other than a few nights of mad twitterchatter) it's because I'm now on my second hectic week of settling into my first home. Last January I plunked down 10k (with a few more Ks to follow) and bought a condo not all that far from my parents house. Walking distance, in fact. Spent 3 years to find this place. I scoured nearly the entire island, and even off island, for a place that was in my price range and met my tastes and needs. And when they ask you to pay 18k for a parking space downtown, you say "thanks but I can get that for free in the West Island".

The very first condo I saw in St-Laurent though was what I really wanted but it was too expensive at the time, and St-Laurent didn't demerge from Montreal, and you could wave at the pilots as they land their planes in Dorval (lovely). Too bad though because my heart is still set on that one. Another one in Lachine was absolutely gorgeous and right across from the water, but also too expensive for my budget. Now that newscaster on CTVnews has it (my dad's friends with his dad). One other that captured my heart was unfortunately in the heart of Hochelaga-Maisonneuve...with a truck depot for a neighbor (it was the Whippet cookie factory). Originally I saw the place I eventually bought when they had the first building, but I wasn't totally taken with it. Three years later and I get a steal on a pre-construction for their third building, after seeing pretty much EVERYTHING and realizing nothing was better. Also got to seriously expand my savings. (Thank god for ING, and Gameloft's stock options...yeah, I actually did manage to get something good out of those bastiches).

Spent my entire Christmas vacation painting until I couldn't move (I got lots of walls for a 1-bedroom apartment...big walls 'cause of the 9ft ceilings). Went hunting for deals for things I was missing (my kitchen chairs are from some office warehouse without a name that I happened to drive by on my way to get my TV from J Sonic). I swear I've raided Ikea, not that I didn't already have a bus load of Ikea stuff... And scored the most awesomest sofa (on sale) from Structube (sold to me by a guy who's friends with Max Talbot). Last night I survived spider hell to put a rubber snap-together-floor into my locker cage in the concrete bunker of a storage area. All that's left is boxes boxes boxes.

So far everything has been ok. I just hate my toilet... It's apparently made for giant asses and flushes weird. One day I'll change it.

Best part though? Building is still a bit empty (which is kind of creepy) but the people I've met are big Habs fans. Sounds like a party~!

3 comments:

Grrrreg said...

Cool! It's exhausting, but exciting to move in. Did you paint your walls completely in bleu-blanc-rouge? That would be so classy.

Eternal Pessimist said...

Awsomeness! I knew you moved so I was hoping that that was what was going and not that you fell into one of those freakishly huge potholes *G*

Sounds absolutely exhausting but fun too =) a great way to spend the off season *coughs* I mean.... not that everything is about hockey....

A Concerned Citizen said...

Congratulations. It's awesome to have your first place.
Hope it goes better for you than things have been going in our house.