Friday, October 10, 2008

"You can join my line anytime," says Lang to Sergei and TK

Well, no he didn't say that. But he could have.

The first game of the 100th season just ended in a 2-1 shootout victory by the Buffaslugs (or Buffabolts as my brother calls them...Seriously, get that old sweater back please). The 3rd line with Sergei Kostitsyn and Tom Kostopoulos winging Robert Lang was the best of the evening from that terrible first period onward. Langer pots goal numero uno for the Habs and for his career as a Hab and nets himself the 3rd star of the night, so...ya, too bad for you Mats! Many chances in a 4-on-4 overtime in favor of Les Boys, but second star of the evening Ryan Miiiiiiiiiiller (as I'm sure Jeanneret was yelling his face off) was sharp. Also, when I see Kovy check someone off the puck during a PK and create a scoring chance, I just smile. Overall not a bad game despite the team working off the rust, Koivu looking totally out of whack, and the officials being idiots for the most part (especially on that Gui! penalty right when Markov scored...ROBBED by a ref for a player falling by himself). However, Carey Price gets the first star of the evening and rightfully so after being shot at 36 times and only letting in one goal. Nice to know there is no problem there. (Not that I ever thought there would be a problem there). I'll forgive Komisaurus for falling and ultimately causing that one goal. Just don't do it tomorrow buddy. *wink*

And speaking of tomorrow, good ol' Jaro is supposed to be playing. Bring your party hat, kid. Leafs usually pelt 40 or more towards our goal. And god knows how hyper they're going to be after beating the Wings on their banner-raising night. Hey, for the record, I never doubt any team. Even the Leafs. (I'm actually hoping they squeak into the playoffs just so we can maybe see a rinkindled proper Habs-Leafs rivalry. So long as we come out of it on top, of course).

Remember folks, this could have been worse.
Just ask Joey Mac. (Actually why is Joey Mac in nets instead of DP? Hip problems again?) Coach Gordon's debut was spoiled by King Spoiler himself, Martin Brodeur. Well, no it wasn't that bad, 2-1 Devils. Streit got a point for an assist. Actually tonight I was missing you on that powerplay, my fine Swiss friend... (Calling Lieutenant Weber, I expect you to be up here in December. Be ready.)

Over in New York, the Rags won...again. Stop it. It's not funny anymore. They beat Chicago 4-2 and RDS showed a clip of Huet cursing the skies as the puck ran right through him. It looked oddly familiar. (His new mask looks kind of cool though).

Actually, seems it wasn't the night for former Habs goalies. Capitals lost 7-4 against Atlanta, and Theo was pulled in the 2nd period in his regular season debut. For the record, he gave up 4 of those. Florida losts 6-4 against the Hurricanes, where Vokoun only made 18 saves.

And it could have been even worse, folks
Former goalie Clint Malarchuk shot himself in the chin "by accident", but an investigation in the matter calls it suspicious. They aren't really buying that gun going off by itself thing and think instead of shooting rabbits, he was trying to kill himself after arguing with the wife and drinking while taking his meds. I'll just leave it at that, the guy has been through enough already. Instead of remembering him bleeding to near-death on the ice, I'll remember him from that Good Friday Brawl between the Nordiques and the Habs where he danced a bit with Sevigny. Those were the days...

No comments: