I'm so tired of elections and general politics that I'm really close to dumping my new condo, quitting my job, and hiding somewhere in the brush of the Northwest Territories. Or London, Ontario (assuming I can try again for that other job). And I'm not talking Canadian politics. My dad insists on leaving the TV on CNN every morning and night, even though he really just uses it to put himself to sleep. My friendly Americans, just watch the Daily Show, that's really all you need to know... And now there's word of a Provincial election that might happen. Great, just what I needed. More stomach churning worries that the PQ might be elected once more after they were booted out years ago 'cause god knows my fellow citizens for the most part have short-term memories even though our motto is "Je me souviens". (They don't even remember what that's from either). Thank god there's some hockey tomorrow.
I'm in your systems, raining on your day.
Tomorrow's forecast calls for rain, rain, snow, and rain. And I'm not talking about the Hurricanes. Well, no, they'll be here too. Hope the boys are awake, 'cause we all know how they tend to play on rainy days. Our ray of sunshine will be from Sergei's smiling face in practice pictures as he wrestles with Price (what? practicing goalie interference?) while big brother Andrei is skating around looking just fine. C'mon Doc, give the man clearance. Other than another black eye, he looks fine to me. (Which is good to see, considering he has epilepsy and god knows what head shots do to people with such conditions).
The 'Canes also just came off their own brush with the Head Shot. And I agree with their GM, the league just wants to say they care but don't give enough of a damn about it. Guess the same rule of fixing a bad intersection here applies: it takes 50 people to have their career end prematurely before they'll actually make a move. Or, maybe just Crosby. Thankfully it didn't end the career for Andrei, nor Mathieu Carle (who was just cleared and sent to the Bulldogs), and doesn't look like it'll end for rookie Brandon Sutter.
Carbo said it best, that hey in case you didn't notice, when you play hockey, the puck is usually on the ground, so you know, you're head is going to be down. He just doesn't buy that "keep your head up" crap. I'm also tired of hearing that old mantra. The league is quick to up scoring and changing rules there, but what'll happen if everyone is too concussed to do anything? Until players get some kind of suspension, they'll never learn to think about making a move on a vulnerable player. The game is fast, and accidents happen when one play goes bad, but that doesn't mean you can't think. I'll give it to Sutter, he actually had the puck, and it was just a hit gone wrong because he suddenly leaned down to play the puck forward just as Weight smacked him one. But Andrei didn't have it anymore, not for a while, and Carle was just off a simple dump in that really didn't warrant an open-ice Kronwall-y smackdown (in preseason, no doubt). It's just all stupid. (Of course I'm the first to note that no-check hockey is a fucking snorefest, I'm just asking for a little bit of brains, that's all).
Come down from Cloud 9
- Hey, like the Habs, the glaring errors on the Sabres finally caught up to them as Miller wasn't in nets to bail 'em out (nor was he being switched in). Sens HIGH-FIVE, Slugs 2. Lalime was in nets for the Slugs here. So that leaves the Minnesota Not-So-Wild as the only team that has yet to lose in regulation (6-0-1). Wee...Habs visit them Thursday...
- Detroit had to take the Kings to a shootout, 4-3. I'm intrigued by this.
- Rangers beat the...ya, it's not that hard to beat the Islanders these days, though.
- The Palin Curse didn't affect their games, but the Blues have no more goalies thanks to her. They now rely on two untested rookies that they seem to like swapping mid-game as if it were still pre-season. Not that they're facing many shots anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment