Monday, May 28, 2012

We have a winner!

HONK HONK HONNNNNNNK!

No that's not the Nashville Predators. Congrats to the Shawinigan Cataractes (NOT AN EYE DISEASE, did you sleep in geography?) on winning the Memorial Cup last night against my London Knights. Yea, *my* London Knights. Once upon a time I almost moved to London for a job. Glad I didn't actually because a few months later, the place went semi-bust. But that wasn't why I cheered for the Knights. They were my OHL team. I caught on to them because I thought their uniforms were spiffy. And green, my favourite colour.

But I digress. The Cataractes deserved this. A 2-1 OT victory after the Knights decided the Hunter Lock Down Defensive System 2.0 was the way to go, essentially killing most of their offense and basically depending on Austin Watson and the Rupert Twins or hoping Tinordi-Harrington can lock it down. Eventually it looked like fatigue killed them once wave after wave after wave of yellow jerseys buzzed their zone. Also I don't think Morgan Ellis left the ice in OT. (Don't be shocked if he makes the Habs early next season, was what I said back in December).

I love how the two Russians--the ever bizarre Kirill Kabanov, and Anton Zlobin who I wouldn't mind the Habs grabbing--are the ones front and center with the Cup. Zlobin's two goals gave them the victory. Kabanov made Olli Määttä look like he doesn't belong in the first-round pick conversation all night long.

Ironic that it was the one time Tinordi was on the ice that the game-winning goal occurred. I think he played over 40 minutes...

Houser devastated, Tinordi stoic in a Ken Dryden pose.
I don't think he changed from that position for a while actually.

Still posing...

In the end only one BabyHab captain would lift it. It was a hard fought game. And the little guy came out on top.

Bournival living the dream. Hometown hero.
Meanwhile someone might want to un-flatten Morgan Ellis. We need him!

1 comment:

juce said...

Congrats to the Cataractes.